Friday, July 29, 2011

Zuppa Napoleone Light

Yesterday I did a 30 minute workout at Alamo Shape with the owner Rosemarie as our instructor.  It was a really good workout and for lunch I had a vegetable soup made with vegetable broth and a bottle of water.  For dinner I had the same soup but had Honey Vanilla Chamomile herbal tea.  I took it easy the rest of the day due to my sprained ankle from a waterfall shoot a few days ago. I did stretch before bed.
This morning I stretched and took dogs for a walk. I then went to Front Porch Bistro to take my friend Abby some Zuppa Napoleone for her birthday.  This soup is a family recipe I used to make for my husband and sons.  I have replaced the spicy summer sausage with chicken and took out the risoni.  I used to make my own basil pesto but found Classico does the trick!
  • 2 leeks minced
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1-2 tablespoons lightly salted butter or heart smart butter.
  • Sauté leeks and garlic on medium heat stirring for 2-3 minutes.
  • Add 2 sliced medium zucchini and stir in to cook on low for 3-5 minutes
  • Add 6 cups water (enough to cover vegetables and chicken), 1 sprig rosemary and 1 sprig thyme
  • 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken diced and
  • 2 cups spinach and 1 cup finely shredded carrots. (I replaced the potatoes with spinach)
  • Boil for 10 minutes or till chicken is fully cooked. Add enough water or light chicken broth to fill large cooking pot.  If it’s water, add broth paste to equal cups of water. (Read Directions)
  • Remove sprigs of thyme and rosemary and add in 4 tablespoons Classico Traditional Basil Pesto.  Make sure excess oil stays in jar and does not go into soup.
  • ½ cup white cooking wine. (Optional)
  • Add 2 tomatoes diced before serving. Fresh is better than canned. 
  • For a summer soup, remove from heat and serve warm- not hot with an oil and vinaigrette tossed garden salad.




No comments:

Post a Comment